• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Looking for an MS Office replacement

Started by Ryan Lintker, 2002-09-04T12:45:42-05:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Lintker

I am interested in a free/inexpensive Microsoft Office replacement.  In my brief searching, I came across EasyOffice.  I downloaded and installed it, and it looks promising.  I haven't used it extensively yet.  Has anyone else used this or knows of other alternatives?  I would like something that runs under windows, but should also have a Linux system fairly soon that could use word processing and spreadsheet apps.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones

Stiffler

OpenOffice is supposed to be excellent. I told Peter about it last year, and he instantly put it on Solar when OpenOffice was still in beta. The final is out now. It is based on the StarOffice 6.0 code. Take a look at it on the Solar VNC.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Michael Kennedy

I've used OpenOffice and 602.  Both are good, but OpenOffice is the clear winner.  602 is partially pay, too, so that causes it to lose some points.  Who wants to be force to pay extra for the spell checker?
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

William Grim

Actually, it's based on StarOffice 5.2 code.  StarOffice 6.0 is proprietary.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Stiffler

Actually, it's based off the beta code of StarOffice 6. Sun released the code to a very early beta, and they put up on their website that they share code and help .... yada, yada. I don't remember all of it, because it was a quite a while ago.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.