• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Interesting HCI Research: How do people keep track of websites?

Started by Jerry, 2003-12-18T10:20:18-06:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

The researchers are studying how people "keep found things found" when looking for information on the Web. Their goal is to understand why people do what they do and to develop more useful tools for managing this information. The research suggests that "keeping" techniques arise from the different ways people intend to use the information. Sometimes a person desires the portability of paper, the anywhere access of e-mail, the permanence of a saved file or the speedy access from the browser's bookmarks.

Aside from speed, though, bookmarksâ€ââ,¬Âthe primary "keeping" tool provided by most Web browsersâ€ââ,¬Ârank low on many characteristics that users want, the researchers found.

Full Story can be found at:
http://www.nsf.gov/od/lpa/news/03/pr03146.htm

Here's my idea: A browser "sticky pad button". You hit this button and it put a sticky on your desk top with the URL, the title of the page and a text box for you to write yourself a note.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

William Grim

I don't know about other browsers, but Mozilla can do something similar to what you want.

If you go to "Bookmarks->Manage Bookmarks", you can add a description of the web site.  You can even close mozilla, leaving just the bookmark window left on the desktop.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Ryan Lintker

That's what I need, more clutter on my desktop.  Guess I just need a bigger monitor.

But stickies on the desktop is probably better than my system of a combination of favorites, history usage, and the classic "remember what I typed into google so I can find it back" technique.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones