• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Speaking of artificial intelligence...

Started by Guest, 2004-01-28T17:50:45-06:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Since you brought up the St. Louis Post Dispatch article, I was wondering if any of you have seen or heard about this yet. The NS-5, the worlds first fully automated assistant. Here is the link. NS-5

Sorry about creating a new thread I meant for this to be a reply to the "the machine that invents" thread.

bill corcoran

yeah, that's "artificial" all right

i'm not sure if i'd want these things to be wandering around anyway.  actually, i guess they'd have a purpose and direction, leaving us to do the wandering.
-bill

Geoff Schreiber

Also known as a book by Isaac Asimov "I Robot" that is being released as a movie this year:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/i/irobot.php
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geoff Schreiber
Project Engineer
FASTechnology Group

R. Andrew Lamonica

I liked most all of the robots short stories and really liked the robots novels by Asimov.  I seem to remember that the I, Robot short story collection has most of the best, however, I cannot remember a specific story containing all the characters listed in the credits for this movie.  Does anyone know if the movie is an adoption of one of the short stories or is it just following the theme?

Geoff Schreiber

From what I read on the film at cinescape:

"The project started with an original script Hardwired, by Jeff Vintar. When Fox acquired the rights to "I, Robot" in the hopes of creating a series of robot films, they decided that Hardwired would make a great prequel to that series, so "Hardwired" was renamed to "I, Robot" and several characters added from Asimov's stories. Subsequent drafts of the script have been done by Hillary Seitz ("Insomnia") and, most recently, Akiva Goldsman ("A Beautiful Mind"), so this promises to be a good story."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geoff Schreiber
Project Engineer
FASTechnology Group

Jonathan Birch

Apparently there was an unrelated screenplay titled "Hardwired" that was altered to incoporate elements from Asimov's short stories about robots (i.e. the Three Laws of Robotics).