• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Using Latex

Started by Jarod Neuner, 2004-04-14T00:24:55-05:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarod Neuner

No, this is not a link to HOWTO-Condom.html

On Wednesday, April 14th @ Noon, Dr. Lozowski is giving a presentation on how to use Latex to write papers. The presentation will be given in the CVIP lab, Room 3008 in the Engineering Building. No free pizza, sorry =/

For those who aren't familiar with Latex, it is a neat way to write a paper in plain text (be it over a terminal or just in notepad), then run it through a routine that generates a very presentable paper. It is particularly useful for technical reports with math equations, charts, and diagrams. All the rendering is done for you, you just type.
Jarod......

Jonathan Birch

You could give people the benefit of the doubt you know (or just avoid the double-entendre to begin with).

Sounds interesting though. I've never had a reason to use Latex, but I have to be on campus anyway, so I expect I'll be there.

Jonathan Birch

Ok, that was actually pretty interesting.

I've got one more reason to switch my alternate system to unix anyway.

William Grim

QuoteYou could give people the benefit of the doubt you know (or just avoid the double-entendre to begin with).

What?
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Jonathan Birch

On the off chance you're not being sarcastic:

A "double entendre" is a phrase which can be heard/read in more than one way, with one of the ways typically being innuendo of some sort.

He could have said, for instance, "Using LaTeX" or "Using the Latex Typesetter". To be fair, Dr. Lozowski phrased it the same way in his flyer, although I really don't think he was trying to be provocative.

Jarod Neuner

I did a little more research on LaTeX after Lozowski's presentation, and discovered that The Linux Documentation Project has a teTeX HOWTO that seems pretty good. I didn't read the whole thing, but it was easy enough to follow.

And for those of you with debian boxes:
apt-get install tetex-bin
Jarod......

William Grim

I know "double entendre" means "double meaning", but for some reason I got confused anyway.  *shrug*
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley