• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

FreeBSD CS Servers for Course Work?

Started by William Grim, 2004-04-16T04:33:52-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

William Grim

So, what does everyone think about having some FreeBSD 5.x servers around and in use for coursework instead of GNU/Linux systems?

If FreeBSD was placed on a server for an upcoming semester, how would you feel about it?

I think I'll make a list of the pros and cons between FreeBSD and Linux on a paper and make it publically available to everyone tomorrow.

Personally, I'd love to see more BSD, but the other admins seem sort of scared of it.  Maybe they think it's radically different than Linux?  Thankfully, it's not.

Admin co-workers, please feel free to place your $0.02. :-D  I'd love to get a discussion going about this in a very serious fashion.

Also, did any of you know that CAOS is hosted on a FreeBSD 5.x system?  Ha ha!  "But we thought it was different than Linux."  "Well, it is, but not THAT different in userland."
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

bill corcoran

i think we should use an openbsd server running on gba hardware to host the caos site...

http://www.openbeer.it/porting/OpenBSD-gameboy.htm
-bill

Jarod Neuner

Honestly, another random server that does approx. the same thing as the rest is not anything I particularly care about.

Now, if it was another random server that just so happened to be running on something retarded (like a coffee maker), it would at least merit putting apache on...
Jarod......

William Grim

Oh well, I suppose it's not a big deal right now.  Debian seems to be good enough right now, but if they ever decide to switch OS I'll definately push for FreeBSD.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley