• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Win XP SP1

Started by Stiffler, 2002-09-05T18:21:30-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiffler

If you are an Premier Download Subscription holder you can Download Windows XP SP1 now. Everyone else can get it September 9th. It fixes a lot of bugs and adds new functionality to XP.

I am putting off the FAQs for Slipstreaming Windows 2k/XP untill I get the tool done that helps with the slipstream process. I have the Guide for Office XP up in the FAQ section now.

Enjoy,
Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Stiffler

I know it is supposed to be offically released on Sep. 9th, but here is the link. Get it now before all the average users do on the 9th.

Get it here.

Jon

Michael Kennedy

ATTENTION:

Windows XP has one of the biggest security vulnerabilities ever.  I'm sure you can find more information online to verify this, so here's what I've read in a few places:

Win XP has a hole that allows a malicious web site to delete any file it wants to off your computer.  The service pack will fix this, but here's a much quicker fix- find "uplddrvinfo.html" and simply rename it.

By what I've heard, the vulnerability is there because Microsoft botched a new "feature" that allows websites to do something with Windows Help.  Instead of simply creating help entries (a dumb idea, IMHO) it accidently allows sites to delete files.

My details might be wrong, but I've seen quite a few sites that are expressing concern so immediate action should be taken.  It'll only be a matter of days until a virus goes around and kills XP installs if this as big as it appears.

Also, this post should get sent to the site's index as an announcement if it pans out to be true.

Follow-up: Apaprently, this cannot be used to remove critical files, since Windows XP has a form of self-protection against this.  It can, however, remove plenty of other files that can still render Windows unbootable.

(Disclaimer:  I rarely make mistakes about stuff like this, but I reserve to right to be wrong and make a big deal out of nothing one time.  I've never exercised this right, but may in the future.   :-D)
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Stiffler

The link I have still works, so there is no reason why no one can't find the link or should not DL it. The above post is all the more reason to upgrade. Before you upgrade you should read this post. I know it's long, but its vital, not that I am impling that any of you are running a non-legal copy of MS Windows XP. The article contains som neat information that would benifit anyone using a Volume Licensed copy, like the CS Depart., because it talks about incyrpting the CD Key. Well, I thought that was kewl.

Jon