• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Car parallel parks itself!

Started by Jerry, 2004-06-30T14:36:21-05:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Check out the video on this car parking itself

http://www.ikp.liu.se/evolve/2004/filmer/Park_auto_no_driver.wmv

Question: If your robot car has a fender bender accident when there is no one driving it who is at fault?

Here's the full story:
http://www.ikp.liu.se/evolve/
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

DaleDoe

Quote...who is at fault?

The manufacturer.  Unless you were misusing the device or had modified it, liability would belong to the manufacturer for making a product that damages things.:hammer:

Just like when Ford had a problem with cars popping out of park and into reverse and driving around wrecking things.  Last year in a parking lot, a (running) parked car backed into my grandpa's parked car and Ford had to pay for it.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

If I let my car park itself, I'd be afraid it would drive away on its own too. Didn't it park s-l-o-w-l-y? Let's see what happens when it tries to parallel park on its own in a busy street in Chicago.

The shirtless guy was cool too. Whatta showoff. He could have pulled straight into the spot, but instead he took his clothes off, let the car parallel park itself, and swaggered slowly away.

Michael Kennedy

I agree that the manufacturer *should* be held accountable, but you better bet the manual for such a device would say that the automatic car parking should not be engaged around any obstacles such as other cars, people, fire hydrants, streets, or pavement.  If they release such a thing then they'd make sure they couldn't be sued for normal, logical accidents.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"