• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Free MS Stuff

Started by Jerry, 2002-09-06T14:40:43-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

In case you didn't know:

Email message from Greg B.

As much as I hate to admit it, the MSDNAA program is now available. Students and faculty may now check out Microsoft software for use on their home computer systems.

(i may become scarce, however, if i find 400 students lined up at my desk tomorrow)

Greg Bartholomew
CS System Support

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Michael Kennedy

Wow.  I checked out Microsoft's website on the program and came up with this list of software:

Visual Studio Professional
Microsoft Project Professional
Windows XP, Windows 2000, and other Microsoft operating systems
.NET Enterprise Servers: Windows servers, SQL Server, Exchange Server, Commerce Server, BizTalk Server, Host Integration Server, Systems Management Server, Sharepoint Portal Server, and several others
Microsoft Visio Professional
MSDN Library (updated quarterly), documentation, technical articles, and code samples
Software development kits (SDKs), betas, new releases, and updates
Development tools for Windows CE
Professional technical support for the program administrator that includes unlimited setup and install support and 4 regular support incidents
Technical support newsgroups for faculty members
Regular CD-based software shipments with updated software

I assume this is all available?  This is pretty cool, I'll be at Mr. Bartholomew's office early Monday morning to check out a .NET server CD is one is available.

Thanks for posting this Dr. Weinberg.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Stiffler

The .NET Servers don't come out till 2003. I already talked to Greg. He said that Win XP is available for those taking an Operating Systems course. VS.NET is available. And I believe MSDN for VS 6? and .NET.

Those are the only ones he was mentioning, and I believe he didn't want the masses to no about it. Like he doesn't want ppl there getting WinXP just to upgrade to it, because he needs to do a lot of work to keep trak of all the licenses.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Michael Kennedy

That's certainly understandable.  The .NET server is all I'd be interested in since I believe I have copies of everything else.  Send up a post if any other software becomes available for student use.  We trying desperately to become "legal" at work so I can assure everyoen involved that it would never find it's way into a production environment.

And these aren't cut-down versions are all, are they?  Sounds like a good program- we get some free/cheap software and Microsoft gets to lock youngin's into using their software.   :-)
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"