• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

How to SSH into Linux servers?

Started by Pradeep C Unde, 2004-09-07T20:43:07-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Pradeep C Unde

Does anyone know how to SSH into the Linux machines for CS590? :-?

Chris Swingler

More specific you must be, yes.

In general, ssh username@hostname should be sufficent if you're starting at a Unix box, otherwise, go get PuTTY from the Internet and use it.
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

R. Andrew Lamonica

He is referring to the Lab machines that will be used for the Kernel Development class.  The answer is that you cannot (should not) log onto those machines remotely for the following reasons.

1. They are booted into Windows most of the time and do not have SSH servers running and available.
2. Kernel development requires reboots for testing.  This leads to many logistical problems.  For example, what if I am using the machines and someone reboots it remotely to test their new Kernel?  What if their Kernel crashes and requires another reboot?  How will they select Linux (not the default) from the boot menu remotely?
3. If we dedicated several lab machines for remote usage that would be that many more servers I would have to try and keep secure. I have enough to deal with without adding half a lab worth of machines to the list.

My recommendations are that you install Linux on a partition on your home computer or develop at the stations themselves.

QuoteMy recommendations are that you install Linux on a partition on your home computer...

Does SIUE have a mirror with Fedora ISO CD images?

Jarod Neuner

How do you SSH into Linux servers? Install Linux and type:
ssh jneuner@solar.cs.siue.edu

Next meeting I will talk about doing one of those Linux InstallFests. I have some lecture ideas brewing in my mind (such as a "How do I watch the pr0n I download?" and "Can I still shoot people in the face?") that may make an InstallFest more useful.
Jarod......

William Grim

Stop being nit-picky.

Anyway, the servers publicly available to the CS students and some other departments:

solar.cs: Solaris 8 server
home.cs:  FreeBSD 5.2.1 server

Of course, we do have several other servers that run FreeBSD or Linux and perform several tasks for the CS department and engineering building in general.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

CS590 is Linux Kernel Development; which requires one to be somewhat "nit-picky" about which operating system is used.

R. Andrew Lamonica

We do not have the images anywhere.  However, we do run an install and update HTTP server.  It does not work from off campus but exceptions could be made on a case-by-case limited time basis.  I suggest the you use BitTorrent (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bittorrent/BitTorrent-3.4.2.exe?download) to download the ISO's (http://torrent.linux.duke.edu/).  This will be much faster on most kinds of high-speed connections.

I wish there was a better option for you, but ultimately kernel development cannot be done remotely.  It is just too hard to debug and run tests when you are not sitting in front of the system.  If you are not testing or debugging and are only editing then any OS will due (even Windows or, better yet, a Virtual PC).

Just curious, who is teaching Linux Kernel Development?  Sounds like a fun course!

R. Andrew Lamonica

A teacher new to the department this year named Dr. Stephen Blythe.

His Website: http://www.siue.edu/~sblythe/