• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Linux...and Macroshaft

Started by CSWizard, 2004-09-11T01:06:07-05:00 (Saturday)

Previous topic - Next topic

CSWizard

So many people say they hate linux.  I asked one guy how he liked linux and he said it sucked. I preceeded to ask him what kernel he was using and he replied:"Whats it matter?"  I later found out he was using it for only a week.  
   The fact of the matter is is that MOST people try linux for a week and stop using it because they don't understand it, not because it sucks.  Atleast I can say I don't really care for Microsoft operating systems and I can back my words up with about 7 years of actual experience using them and about 6 years of actual experience using linux.   Poor Microshaft lemmings.  By the way. when your using linux don't go searching for "My Computer".  Can I get a HELL YA for the Linux OS,openBSD, or MAC OS, anything but MACROSHAFT  :-P  :-P  :-o CSWizooout!

William Grim

i hate linux

can i get a wut wut for dos
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Tyler

I use Windows the most, mostly because most everthing I know is primarily used on it, and it's what I use at work.  I have a Linux box that I use on occasion, but mostly just when I got bored or want to impress friends with an operating system they 've never seen before  :-P.  

I use Fedora Core 1, and I used to use Red Hat.  Maybe someday when I have more freetime (no Senior Project), I'll take some time and become more familiar with Linux.  Dr. Abrahimian made us use Linux in 340 and Fujinoki made us use in in 414, so I've had some experience using C++ on solar, which is quite close to Linux from what I know.  I like to use Visual Studio, however, mostly because it gives error messages that are much more informative and hence easier to solve.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Chris Swingler

Quotecan i get a wut wut for dos
wut wut.

In all honesty, CSWizard, you've pointed out the obvious.  On top of that, you're being childish.  It's okay, a lot of us go through this shortly after we start using an "alternative" OS.  But you're moving into Jeff K. land.  Stop it.  There are more intelligent reasons to move to Linux, other than just the obvious "IT'S NOT MICROSOFT LOL!!1"

I seriously doubt you've been using Linux for six years.

Quotei hate linux

No, no you don't. :-D

QuoteI like to use Visual Studio, however, mostly because it gives error messages that are much more informative and hence easier to solve.

Oddly enough, I've found gcc's error messages more comprehensive.  Couple it with Vim, and it's not too bad.  Visual Studio's debugger is hard to beat, though.

And there's some weird bug in XOOPS that's preventing me from posting in this thread without a couple of refreshes.
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

I don't know of a reason why I would lie about how long I have been using Linux, especially to a group of individuals I don't even really know; however, if you would like to doubt me so be it Beanie. You can doubt all you want. Whatever keeps your boat floating. :huh:

Jon

I submitted your site to the Worst of the Web. (http://www.worstoftheweb.com)

I think your chances of winning are pretty high.

Michael Kennedy

QuoteOn top of that, you're being childish. It's okay, a lot of us go through this shortly after we start using an "alternative" OS. But you're moving into Jeff K. land. Stop it. There are more intelligent reasons to move to Linux, other than just the obvious "IT'S NOT MICROSOFT LOL!!1"

Why is he being childish in saying that, Beanie?  There's a lot to be said for using Linux simply because it's not Microsoft.  Hell, I'm voting for Nader this election simply because he's not one of the top two canidates- I want 3 equally valid choices at an election (then 4, then 5, etc).  Same with operating systems- sometimes you just gotta make the statement that you'll take anything besides the #1 choice and that's what CSWizard did.  I assume he really has some stronger underlying reasons (like Microsoft's bad security record, monopolistic practices, etc), but I don't see his choosing Linux simply cause it's not Microsoft as bad- maybe not 100% honest, but not bad.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

DaleDoe

I use both.  Windows to rip MP3s (simply because I haven't taken the time to figure that out on Linux) and Linux for most everything else.

Maybe I'm not a true computer geek, but don't Linux because it is "open source," though I like the idea.  I don't pretend to be an elitist using a "better" operating system, either.  I use it because it is FREE.  (Not that my copy of Windows cost me, either ;-))  Secondarily, I use it because it is less hassle to install RedHat and set up a simple firewall than to deal with Windows in-security.

QuoteI've found gcc's error messages more comprehensive. Couple it with Vim, and it's not too bad.
I'll take vim and gcc over any IDE any day.  I even have gcc and vim for Windows so I could use it at SIU without logging into some server.

Can I get a HELL YA for free software?:punk:
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

Tyler

I must say, installing Linux is soooo much easier than installing Windows.  With Windows, you're constantly being asked for drivers (via 3.5 floppies and cd mostly).  However, installing Linux, you''re pretty much good to go.  I've never had to ever both with any type of driver with the Linux installs that I've done.

One thing I do like about gcc is that it's not so picky about file extensions.  Windows and it's apps are so damn picky about file extensions.  If I want to have a source file main.hatewindows I think I should be allowed to.

And I do like the fact that it's free and you don't even have to pirate it.

bill corcoran

QuoteDaleDoe wrote:
I use both.  Windows to rip MP3s (simply because I haven't taken the time to figure that out on Linux) and Linux for most everything else.

get grip.  it totally rocks.

http://nostatic.org/grip/

-bill

QuotePeople who THINK they know about Linux operating systems should know about these minor details

1) The X Window System is not referred to as XWindows.
2) The Gnome Desktop manager was/is written with the C programming language.
3) KDE desktop manager was/is written with the C++ programming language.
4) The kernel version in a linux operating system is very IMPORTANT
5)

Tyler

Michael Kennedy

Someone who is probably very single.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Tyler

If you cross your eyes a little it looks a little like Dr. Weinberg in the mid 80's.