• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Experience with Linux/NetBSD PDAs?

Started by William Grim, 2004-10-16T04:56:18-05:00 (Saturday)

Previous topic - Next topic

William Grim

Well, I've been interested in getting a PDA for quite some time now.  I could go out on ebay and buy some nice handspring visors between $15 and $25 (not including shipping) with no problem, but seeing as how I'm a Unix network admin and like to program too much, a PDA that "just works" is not for me.  So, instead, I would like to purchase a Linux PDA, NetBSD PDA, or any PDA capable of handling either OS well.

When it comes to Linux PDAs, has anyone tried out the Agenda (or Softfield) VR3s?  My roommate has an Agenda VR3, and I think it's pretty nifty, even though it has a few software problems (it's an early model Linux PDA).

Has anyone else tried out the Gmate Yopy (the one without the backlight)?  I have someone on the Internet that is willing to part with his for $37 (including shipping, which is an awesome deal).

I'm fairly sure I'll snatch up the Gmate Yopy and test out NetBSD on it, including stripping down the system to just what I need, but does anyone else have any opinions on this?
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

William Grim

Thought I'd reply to myself so I can live up to my newly acquired rank!  :-P
William Grim

i have a zaurus sl5500 that i'll be getting rid of once i can find a decent phone/pda/camera/mp3player combo (i need to consolidate devices).  i was considering just keeping it since it still has a pretty high "wow factor" to it, but i can let you know when i dont have as much need for it later on.

in the mean time i'll fork your topic a bit- anyone know of any phones that also have good cameras that also has enough storage space for some mp3s?  i really want the sony erricson s700i, but cant find one for a decent price around here.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/5382.html

plus, i want it cause rotating phones rock my world.  :)  i need a replacement for my motorola v70 which is just beat up now.

Bryan

Mike you may want to try talking to Dr. Abrahamian.  I know he runs unix (in fact it might be linux) on his palm device. I know you can get ahold of him as he's the client for your senior project  :-P
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Anonymous:  If you're going to be getting rid of that Zaurus, let me know.  I may be interested in taking it off your hands. :)

Jon

Sh*t.  I just realized that I posted that reply anonymously, too.  Anyway, like I said, I'd be interested in buying a Zaurus.

William Grim

Thanks.  I'll make sure I talk to him!  :-)
William Grim

William Grim

Make sure you let me know when you're going to be selling it as well.  I might still be interested.  :-D
William Grim