• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

rm -Rf / and Format C:

Started by Tyler, 2004-11-03T09:39:17-06:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

I was just wondering how many times we've done them.  I probably have formatted c: more times than I can remember.  Not being the huge linux geek that many of you may be, I have no experience with formatting Linux drives.

There is also a comparing list http://hohle.net/scrap_post.php?post=23&m=full">here

And yes, I know this is on slashdot, and for some reason the forum now won't let me use a normal link.  
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

bill corcoran

i usually let install guis do the formatting, or do a make2fs -j for linux partitions (format C: and rm -rf / are not as analogous as they might seem).

however, i did do a rather silly thing as root (on my desktop) the other night, sloppily hammering out the keys and over-using tabbed completion as root.  source ~/.bash_history.  oops.  what other silly and potentially disastrous things have other people done?

oh, and for erasing:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda; dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda; dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda; dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda; dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda; dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda; dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda;

that ought to wipe it pretty good.
-bill