• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Most computer illiterate comment ever

Started by Tyler, 2004-11-05T12:13:22-06:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

I think you are all crazy, but I like the quotes! I a MUCH less knowledgeable programmer so I don't have the slightest what Mike's one liner was, but I'm sure it was good, and I liked the rest of them! Especially feeding the mouse! I'm a mainframer, so my funny lines are more like this:

Me: Do you know how to get to the "kicks" screen?
Her: Kicks? I don't know what that is.
After much deliberation....

It was the CICS screen!!!!

I bet nobody gets the humor in that, but I couldn't resist posting the one joke I had!

CoCo

Jon

Quotegrimw wrote:

Just because it's more advanced doesn't mean it's any less valid.

That’s arguable.  Consider your own language: You wouldn’t think someone was illiterate just because they didn’t know what apposition or shibboleths are with respect to the English language.  You would also probably not say that a person is illiterate if he doesn’t mind going against a loosely enforced Latin rule of grammar and ends a sentence with a preposition (this is not always a bad thing, and may even be more appropriate given the English language’s roots in a German dialect).  The same goes for improper use of â€Ã...“whoâ€Ã, and â€Ã...“whomâ€Ã, which we all do every day.

There are probably grammatical or spelling errors in this message, but I doubt that even an English major would consider me to be illiterate for the simple reason that these are fairly â€Ã...“advancedâ€Ã, topics.

William Grim

However, it can be argued that the person is indeed more illiterate than you are if they don't understand something that you do... at least for that specific example.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Stiffler

QuoteCongrads on your retirement, Jon.
 wish I was retired. I guess I'm halfway there--right now I'm only tired.
Thanks Dale. :-D I get retired over and over. :-P Actually it's the Anti-Psychotics that make me tired, but that's a different story.

Oh, BTW, I hope you all know that XOOPS records IP addresses and can ban people by IP, so if the Anon guy's IP is the same and not a school IP, then ... well, I think this would be the first ever Banning on CAOS.  :-o So let's end this fueding. This is going nowhere, and it is pointless.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Jarod Neuner

Over the last year my definition of "Computer Illiterate" has changed dramatically. For instance, I find many Computer Science majors and even Computer Science professors that blindly labeled scripts 'viruses', my interpretation of computer illiterate dropped to a very fundamental level. In fact, exchanging an ethernet cable with a telephone cable is commonplace in my world. That in mind, I will now share some of my favorite moments serving as a Residential Technology Assistant.

Anonymous Girl #1 (alias Jane='echo 'Guy #1''):
Jane: "I tried to plug in the keyboard, but the cable wasn't long enough. And now my TV doesn't work."
Jarod: "Did you plug the TV into the wall outlet?"
Jane: "Umm, I don't think so. If I plug in the TV will my keyboard work?"
Jarod: "There isn't anything worth watching on the TV anyhow."

Anonymous Guy #2 (alias John='echo 'Guy #2'')
John: "When I push the power button, nothing happens"
Jarod: "What kind of computer do you have?"
John: "A Dell"
Jarod: "Is it a Desktop or a Laptop?"
John: "Umm, Laptop is the one without wires right?"
Jarod: "Well, kindof. Laptops can work when cables aren't plugged into them."
John: "Then it is a laptop"
Jarod: "Was it working previously...like this weekend or last week?"
John: "It stopped working this weekend while I was writing a paper. I was typing and it just shut off."
Jarod: "Did you get any error messages before it shut off?"
John: "No, but it said it was going to standdown or something."
Jarod: "Umm, is the battery charged?"
John: "It should be. The box says the battery only needs to get replaced after like 3 years."

And amongst the best:
Anonymous Girl (alias Sue='echo 'Sorority Girls are dumb')
Sue: "My disk doesn't fit in the computer"
Jarod: "That isn't a disk, it's a calculator"
Sue: "What? Where are the buttons?"
Jarod:
Sue: "Oh" "You must think I'm so dumb now!"
Jarod: "I figured that out yesterday"

Now I am returning to my Econ homework.
Jarod......