• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Bill Gates gets 4 million emails A DAY!!!

Started by Tyler, 2004-11-18T10:42:33-06:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

You think you get a lot of spam?  According to a story at

http://www.ebcvg.com/articles.php?id=371
(I would post a normal link but the forum won't let me?)

Billy G gets roughly 4 million emails a day, mostly spam.  And don't think he goes through it all himself, he has a secretarial team that sifts through them all, talk about an exciting job!

This equates to roughly 50 emails a second.

Good thing he doesn't have a hotmail account, or else he would be over his limit in under a minute (give or take).

Along these lines, how many junk emails do you get a day, and what sort of actions do you take to combat it?
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Michael Kennedy

same as him.  i have a secretarial team.

if he were smart he'd use spamassassin like the rest of us and be rid of 99.9% of all that.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Tyler

I'm not too bad on spam right now, but my server runs some antispam software of some sort (I'm not sure which one it is) and that tags it so when I pull it down it goes into another folder.  Normally it's pretty accurate.

I think you end up with much more spam when you have your own domain and especially when you have a catchall email address.

I actually have a certain address I use when I sign up for free stuff or when I know it will be posted, and this is automatically filtered to this folder (Outlook rules are good sometimes).

My boss gets about 300 spams a day.  He uses spam assassin and from what I know it is quite accurate.  Then again he does have the catchall, 13 domains, and his email address plastered all over the web.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005