• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Question for you pc builders?

Started by Brad Nunnally, 2004-12-12T20:14:17-06:00 (Sunday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Nunnally

I am looking at building my first pc in this next year. I figure to start I will get a case and then mother board. Do any of you have any suggestions on a good case to get? Also, does anyone know of a good dual, or even single, processor motherboard that accepts AMD 64 bit processors? Thanks for any help you have to offer.

Brad Nunnally

"Microsoft is a bully. Microsoft is trying to hoodwink nontechnical people."
Stewart Alsop  :yes:
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Tyler

Just get that $299 computer AOL is offering (joking--I would not even recommend AOL to a mortal enemy).
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Brad Nunnally

I no this is my first pc but I am pretty sure even I would be able to create a better pc than AOL. Atleast I would hope I could, else I am a sad sad little man

Brad Nunnally

"If I had to choose a religion, the sun as the universal giver of life would be my god." (Anyone who may have read and researched the DaVinci Code might find this quote interesting).
Napoleon Bonaparte :yes:
Brad Ty Nunnally
Former CAOS Hooligan

Socket 939 motherboards are the current boards for AMD's 64 bit desktop processors.  I know that motherboards with nVidias newest chipset(nForce 4) are hitting the market soon, and they offer support for PCI-e and gigabit ethernet onboard, and some of them offer support for SLi(you can have 2 video cards processing one screen)

your best bet would probably be to go to www.newegg.com, and then go to amd motherboards, and filter by socket 939, and i would recommend anything by Asus and most anything by MSI

You might want to check out the cases featured on ibuypower.com.  They are pretty slick.  You could probably purchase just the case from another vender (I think ibuypower will only sell you a complete PC).  

Josh

All I do anymore is upgrade computers haven't build one in maybe a year or so.
I buy all my computer upgrade parts from tigerdiret.com ...they have good deal but they do charge a lot for shipping, but it arrives very fast. Good service too after the sale.
Josh Cunningham
"I am a hunter of peace..."--Vash, Trigun......

Bryan

Maybe it's just my personal fascination with the newness of the toy but a 10,000 RPM SATA drive is an absolute must for the file system.  All new motherboards come with SATA (serial ATA) but the hard drives are a bit more expensive (but totally worth it!)

if I weren't walking out the door I'd expand for you, later tonight maybe.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Brad Nunnally

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help you all are offering. So far I have decided to go with the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe for it dual video card slots. Also I think I am going to go with a ThermalTake case, they seem like the best for keeping the overall system temp down. I will look into the SATA hard drive, haven't really ever seen that but it looks interesting.

Brad Nunnally

"Morality is of the highest importance - but for us, not for God."
Albert Einstein

Brad Ty Nunnally
Former CAOS Hooligan

i would without a doubt get a SATA hard drive, and if you are willing to spend the money, a 10,000 rpm Western Digital SATA raptor like moderndaydarwin said.  It performs almost double what normal 7200 rpm hard drives do.

Geoff Schreiber

I would stay away from Asus now - they've started having a third party manufacture their boards now and quality has started to drop. Gigabyte boards are still top dice I've found though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geoff Schreiber
Project Engineer
FASTechnology Group