• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Google accredited as web registrar

Started by Tyler, 2005-02-02T10:11:31-06:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

In the latest effort to expand their hold on the Internet (can you blame them?), Google went through the neccesary steps to become a domain name registrar.  They have no storefront to sell them, so they're probably doing this to help themselves to more control over their own domains.

Maybe it's just me, but Google seems to be trying to become so much more than what its roots are--searching.  Now, Google has their own email, desktop searching, and other software they have bought or developed.  Part of what I like about Google is that the site is simple, unobstrusive, and fast loading.  I fear that with all this expansion, soon they will become a full-fledged portal like MSN or Yahoo.

The allure of Google was that they did one thing and did it better than everybody else.  Now it looks like their trying to do everything better than everybody else.

Google web registrar story http://news.com.com/Google+gets+rights+as+Web+site+registrar/2100-1032_3-5559164.html">here
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Bryan

In all honesty I don't care what they do, as long as they don't fudge up www.google.com I like the nice, clean, simplistic look.  I do like osme of hte stuff they've added like google calculator and the word suggestion.  If they can do everything as well as they do searching, BRING ON AN OS!
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Tyler

Brad Nunnally

One thing I learned about google in my newest Wired magazine is that the company gives their employees paid time to develop their own pet projects. Thats probably what a lot of these new things are. Who knows maybe one of those bored guys in their little cubical dwellers are working on their own little OS.

Brad Ty Nunnally
CAOS Vice-Pres.

"Think? Why think! We have computers to do that for us."
Jean Rostand
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Tyler

I just realized that part of the reason they did this is to be able to get ahold of the whois records of domains so they can keep a better eye on domain spamming.

For the most part this is good, but it could prove hurtful if my family's internet business gets hurt for having several domains (13ish).

It's a shame that the masses must be punished for the spamming of a few  :cry: