• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

related IEEE event / case mod stuff

Started by thechris, 2005-02-03T01:36:07-06:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

thechris

the only reason to put a cold cathode in a computer case is to be cool in some way.  while you could manually flip a switch, it would be a lot cooler just to press a button in a menu and have the light turn on.

fairly soon, i should have kits for approximately 25 12V DC computer controlled switches.  should be good up to 14 amp, which is more then a cold cathode would use...

I am currently working on getting the values for components correct.

the technical info:
Parallel port connects to an "optoisolator".  this means if the cathodes or whatever do something bizzar, it won't send a spike back to the parallel port.  the parallel port turns on a LED, and the light excites electrons on the phototransistor on the other side of the chip.

on the other end of the optoisolator is a N channel enhancment mode MOSFET.  similar to the approximately 50 million in a modern CPU, just a bit bigger then 90nm.

in any case, it is likely there will be enough kits left over after IEEE members get them.

it is possible that a future project will be a similar switch, but for 120V AC like you would find in a house.

Tyler

That would be sweet to be able to control them through a menu.  I personally don't know enough about that area of computing to ever make it happen, so I have been forced to use switches, switches, and more switches.

I would definitely be interested in one as long as it doesn't kill anything.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005