• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Fund Raising Ideas

Started by Tyler, 2005-02-03T15:39:04-06:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

We have all these grand visions, but the true fact of the matter is that we need $$$ to make things happen.  We have a small sum of money at hour disposal through the School of Engineering, but we cannot receive any money from student government this semester.  

So, if we want to do things and not pay for everything out of pocket, we will need some money from somewhere.

What are some fundraising ideas that are out there in the CAOS community?
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

raptor

I've got an idea lets sell 56k modems to an antique store.  LOL I say this even though I'm still on dial-up @ home,  I don't have any other option I live in the sticks.
But seriously a raffle might be good.  There are some really nice computer parts people would like to have.  Getting people to sell the tickets would be the hardest part
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Tyler

I'm sure a lot of us have spare parts we would be willing to donate.  I have a bunch, and I would be willing to donate them just to get them out of my way.

We could have a raffle, and people can get tickets for $5 or $10 apiece, and then we draw, and the first winner gets first pick of the donated items, and keep going until we're out of stuff.  I'm not sure when a good time to be this would be.  Maybe we could have it in the atrium of the EB at some specified time??

Maybe have boxes, or lots, also available for a higher price/raffle ticket?

Maybe a silent auction during the day, and we call the winners that night?? That would be easier to organize.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this??

Brad Nunnally

I like the idea of a silent auction thing, I know a have a couple of things I wouldn't mind donating.

Also, I wil brainstorm and try to come up with any other ideas. As soon as the lightbulb turns on I will let ya know.

Brad Ty Nunnally
CAOS Vice-Pres.
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

raptor

The silent auction is a good idea I think.  We could take donations from individuals, and maybe some of the officers could try to get some items donated from businesses you know the nice stuff :) .
As far as lots I think some of the smaller/lesser items should be put in lots to help get bids in and the larger/nicer items could be put on there own auction block.  That way you wouldn't have like a fifty cent bid on a floppy drive.  
The auction should last more than one day too incase people can't get there.  Maybe a few days or a week.  And then call the winners.
President of CAOS

Brad Nunnally

Okay I think maybe tying two events into one to maybe get some cash. We talked about doing maybe a bowling night. Maybe we can do both a silent auction and the bowling together. Start the autction at the beginning, only people who register can bid, winners would be annouced at the end of the night. I thought maybe it might work, gain money doing the bowling thing and gain money with the auction.

Brad Ty Nunnally
CAOS Vice-Pres.

"Nothing interferes with my concentration. You could put on an orgy in my office and I wouldn't look up. Well, maybe once."
Isaac Asimov
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

raptor

I also had the idea of a movie night with charged admission. I know that may defeat the idea of a "free" movie night but I know I'd be willing to pay like 2 bucks to watch a movie if it was for a CAOS fundraiser. And I don't mean do it at every movie night just a few.  May not be AS big of a money maker but every little bit helps.  I'd think to sell soda, popcorn, etc. also, but I'm not sure that'd turn over enough profit to make it worth the while.

On a side note the bowling night sounds like a GREAT idea, but I think that the auction shouldn't ONLY be that night, it gives more people a chance to participate which means more money :idea:
President of CAOS

Tyler

I'm a little hesitant about charging for the movie night because if we're going to do that, we just might as well charge dues for joing CAOS.

I also have my doubts about having the silent auction on the bowling night, because at the bowling night will be CS professors and other CS people (most of which donated the stuff and have no desire to buy it back).

I'm thinking the silent auction that goes maybe for a Wednesday and a Thursday in the atrium of EB, and then on Friday we can contact everyone.

Elizabeth Weber

If I remember correctly, raffles are not allowed on campus.
Though if you guys are no longer a recognized student organization, it may not matter as much, but it's always best to be aware of the rules you are breaking.  Cheap lunch was technically against the rules too, but the EB has always asserted its superiority over the rest of campus and done as it darn well pleased.

Speaking of, Cheap lunch is, or at least was, a shared venture with all the EB organizations.  Not that it's a huge profit maker split amoungst everyone, but it is something.  The requirement to share in the profits is to supply workers on a rotating basis.

*Someone* should probably pay a visit to the Kimmel Leadership Center in the MUC and get a good handle on what CAOS can and can't do.  They should have some general literature on the subject, a student organization handbook or something.  It would also be a good way to evaluate whether or not you want to become a recognized student organization.  Yes, you get student government money, but its use is restricted to pretty much office supplies.
~Elizabeth Weber

Tyler

I'm still liking a silent auction.  We all have spare parts we'd be willing to donate just to get rid of.  And if we try hard, we'd be able to get some businesses to donate some stuff too, so we can actually auction off new stuff.

raptor

Yeah the biggie would be businesses donating new stuff.  Oooo, big nice new fancy shiny computer parts  :drool:
President of CAOS

Jerry

Here's a suggestion:

Compile a list of past CAOS officers and solicite donations from them and their companies.

We have 2 past presidents working at Boeing, one working at Lockheed Martin, one working at IBM.

I haven't kept track of all of the officers, and we would have to do some digging to remember all of their names. But if you get a few donations in the $100 of dollars it could pay off.

---Jerry
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Josh

Maybe we could make cool keychains out of some computer parts. I can gets us lots of old computer parts.
That is pretty silly idea but maybe somebody can build off of it.

Josh Cunningham
"I am a hunter of peace..."--Vash, Trigun......

Tyler

I have my doubts about that.  I'm just not sure if anyone would buy them.  We are the nerds, so if anybody would already have them, it would be us, and I don't think any of us do.

I'm still digging the silent auction, personally.

William Grim

Assuming we get the kinks worked out of a programming competition this April, we could host a larger tournament this fall, inviting area schools.  We'd charge teams from off-campus a small fee to participate.

Then, in the spring, we could invite more schools.  We could just keep expanding each time we do this.

I think something like this could generate good money if handled properly.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley