• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Google Maps

Started by Tyler, 2005-02-08T10:08:18-06:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

I just saw on Slashdot that Google now has Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/), and all I can say is holy crap, this is amazing!  Just go there and play around with it and you'll be amazed.  This is so going to blow mapquest out of the water. (just one more step to world domination for Google).

But don't take my word for it.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Chris Swingler

It's pretty, but it still needs work.  Knowning Google, though, they'll make it more useful as time goes on.

As far as driving directions go, Mapquest is still set up to be a little easier, thanks to the nice symbols they use.  

Mapquest
Google

The interactivity of Google's map is spiffy, but it's not exactly useful when you're going 75MPH down the freeway.

Hmm... I wonder where I'm going tonight. :-D
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Tyler

I still think Google maps is pretty cool.  Maybe they're lacking a little on driving directions, but just thinking about the programming behind that interactive map is pretty impressive.

But then again, I guess they're used to doing pretty impressive things.

Ross Mead

After playing with Google maps for a while, I'm still not totally sure what my opinion is of it.  I like the fact that u can just type in 'Edwardsville, IL to Chicago, IL' and it gives you that map, with no real forced formatting parameters.  The map itself looks pretty kewl and I like how it kind of walks you through the directions as you click on each step, though, as Beanie mentioned, it doesn't seem that useful when you're going down the interstate at 75MPH! :-P   I don't think they did a bad job at all, but there's always room for improvement.  Knowing Google, they'll probably corner the map market too! :-P

Brad Nunnally

I really like the interface of the map screen. I seems real easy to use and doesn't take much thinking, which is always nice. I am biased towards most map sites because they have never really helped me out for long trips. Short trips they have been great but I still rely on old fasion paper maps to get across state. Who knows maybe google will convert me?

Brad Ty Nunnally
CAOS Vice-Pres.

"I am on the road leading nowhere and I am lost."
Me :-?
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

raptor

I beleive someone made a comment about a Google OS.  Not that I don't see it in the future, and it could be very interesting, but I think if they keep things up, and are smart about how they do it they could definately become one of the largest internet services out there.  Look out YAHOO and MSN.  I'm just curious how all of these web services they're coming out with will be projected to users.  I mean as of right now google.com has no links to gmail or the new maps section. I'm guessing we'll see more of that once these things come out of testing phases.
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Tyler

Now.

I will be the first to tell you that Google is the best at pretty much everything that they do.  But, traditionally I have gone to google because it is not a portal.  It is a simple, clean, easy to use interface.  They are expanding.  They have the froogle, news, gmail, maps, and others.  It's turning into a portal.  And that's what I think may start Google's downfall.

raptor

You are exactly right about google being goole because its simple, easy to use, and works great.  And they are turning into a portal, and it could be the eventual downfall of this growing empire.
But if they could evolve into a portal without loosing their simplicity and ability to do what they do well then they will become an unstoppable online force.  So, the question lies there in, how do they evolve into a portal without becoming what is now thought of as a portal.  Somehow they need to keep the search engine aspect (they're golden trademark) unhindered and unaffected by such a transformation.
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant