• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

ECE 483 - Using UNIX based verilog & simvision from home

Started by Matthew Thomas, 2005-02-10T00:44:16-06:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Thomas

This semester we started to use UNIX based verilog, simvision, and ambit. To the best of my understanding, these are x11 based programs, and as such, one *should* be able to connect remotely from home to use these programs, just like they were on campus using the sun machines.

Doing some research, I have found that MS Windows and X11 are not the best of friends, and that it is much eaiser to run x11 off of a UNIX based machine (such as linux, or a macintosh, where it is apparently built in to the system.)

So, down to the mac store I went, and bought an iMac G5. After setting up my  new pretty computer, I found that x11 support is not installed by default; but it was not a problem to download and install it from apple's website.

Now connecting to quad.ee.siue.edu via ssh using the x11 terminal still works the same, however, I would expect that if I tried to run some x11 app, like simvision, it would launch and work right?

here is what I got:

matttho@quadrophenia:>simvision&
[1] 8571
matttho@quadrophenia:> simvision: 04.10-s019: (c) Copyright 1995-2003 Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

[1]    Exit 1                        simvision
matttho@quadrophenia:>

I know that I'm doing something wrong, and I have a feeling that it is something very simple to fix. I did remember to start the cadence environment prior to attempting to invoke simvision.

My questing is, what is going on? Can someone please provide an explanation, or even better, a solution?

I have seen someone with an apple laptop using simvision, and they praised at how easy it was to connect and set up. I know it's possible...but how?
Superman wears Jack Bauer pajamas

William Grim

Assuming you are using OpenSSH on your Mac, which I suspect you are, try "ssh -X matttho@quad.ee.siue.edu".  This will enable X forwarding and setup the DISPLAY variable for you.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Matthew Thomas

Thanks. It works like a charm now. Again, I thought it was something simple.
Superman wears Jack Bauer pajamas