• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Give google a name/phone number and it gives directions to your house

Started by DaleDoe, 2005-02-18T10:59:15-06:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

DaleDoe

Some of you probably already know this, but if you type a phone number into Google and search for it, or just type in a name and a state, it finds the number in the phonebook, with address, of course.  Then you can click on MapQuest and it will give you a map and directions.

Some people might not be comfortable with google giving directions to their house with just a first and last name and the state they live in. :-o

It doesn't have mine in there since I recently moved, so I used Jerry's name just to pick on him. :jerry: It found his house in Edwardsville and apparently his secret summer home in Chicago. :-P

If you want to remove your number, click on your entry in the phone book and then click on "PhoneBook Removal Form".
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

Bryan

Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Tyler

Now all those girls I give my phone number to won't need me to give them directions anymore.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Bryan

Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

raptor

I've known about that for a few years, I've found that it only works for numbers that are publicly listed anyway.  The only real advantage is that you can stick a number in and get a name back (gee just searches the database) not hard to do but as we all know phonebooks aren't written that way.

-Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Chris Swingler

:tinfoil:

Oh noes!  Public information is -gasp- public!  Cough up the money to get your number unlisted and you won't see it there.  Or just click the link.

I must be a total nerd for finding out about this out on accident years ago.  Also, did anyone find it strange that there's no link for a Google Map search on a phone number results page?
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

DaleDoe

Yea, I noticed that and it is strange.

I don't mind if my number were listed and I find the service quite handy sometimes.  But I do know enough people who would be freaked out.  I bet it could also be a nuisance to high school teachers and possibly even college profs.  Wish they had that back when I was in high school.  :shifty:

BTW:  I like the :tinfoil: smiley.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

Chris Swingler

warning: off-topic

QuoteDaleDoe wrote:
BTW:  I like the :tinfoil: smiley.
Yeah, I've been spending way too much time over at the SomethingAwful forums and I've gotten used to their very extensive list of smilies.  I've been importing them as I go since I've gotten so used to them, and many of our emotes are... boring.  (Then again, I haven't gotten very far on the importing process, since I've only done :dance: and :tinfoil: so far)
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator