• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Stuffed Eyebot

Started by Ryan Lintker, 2002-09-13T23:58:54-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Lintker

Has anyone ever seen a soft stuffed Eyebot?  Anyone know where I can get one?

I'd love to have one to smash when mine is behaving badly, or throw across the room when the mood suits me.

I think that it would be a great investment for the school to issue one to each Eyebot user.  Having a stress reliever such as this could save the life of a real eyebot someday.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones

Stiffler

Is your EyeBot giving you trobles again? It's not the EyeBot's fault, it the programmer's.  :-P

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Peter Motyka

Oh man, those are fight'n words.  You better be careful or Ryan is going to program a pack of eyebots to come get you in your sleep :P

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

William Grim

Ha ha ha!  Judging from what I saw, they'll roll off the side of a building first; they're so retarded.

Look, I've got sensors, and I see that black wall there and know I should go around it, but I'm going to roll back and forth and do circles right here in this spot.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Ryan Lintker

I didn't know that the programmer had much to do with the assembly of the eyebot, or the interface between the battery and the robot itself.  I never said that I was mad at my code.  My code is golden (Yeah, right).  I swapped batteries and it behaved much better.  I think in this case, it was the eyebot and not the programmer's fault.

Better than programming eyebots to harass someone, I live on a farm and have other ways to get back at people.  If you've ever seen Snatch, you may know of one of the methods.  I don't think I would go that far though.

Where's the admin keeping people from insulting others on this thread?

Stiffler

Liz Okayed name-calling (That's why that one thread was unlocked), but you can't use the words "topless" and "women" in the same sentence, and that was used in "Good fun"; she finds that offensive. Hmm, I guess some things are offensive to some people, but not others. She called the name-calling "Good fun". I call it "offensive to some, but not others".

Ryan, I never said you were the programmer. Isn't a programmer needed to write the instruction set for the EyeBot? The EyeBot is a machine; it only does what you or the maker tell it to do. Since you read it and thought I mean you that mean a tiny voice went through your head saying, "What if it really is my code." That prompted your conscience level to think that it was you I was talking about. You doubted yourself without thinking of all the other programmers that are involved in the EyeBot project.

Don't you just psychology?

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Peter Motyka

Oops, sorry to start trouble.  It was actually I who assumed Jon was talking about Ryan.  I dont mean to be a rabblerouser.

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

Ryan Lintker

"Ryan, I never said you were the programmer. "

"Is your EyeBot giving you trobles again? It's not the EyeBot's fault, it the programmer's. "

Okay Jon, maybe you think you didn't say that I was the programmer that wrote the code that is on my eyebot, but a few intelligent people sure read it that way.

I don't have any tiny voices in my head.  They are full rich kick-ass voices that are sometimes hard to control, so your diagnosis was quite incorrect.

It sounds like you "just psychology."  I am assuming that you implied a "love" or "hate" in there.  But maybe throw in a little philosophy.  What is an eyebot without it's instruction set or it's operating system?  It is no longer an "Eyebot," just a bunch of metal with a blank lcd screen.  Even if it was the instruction set that you were referring to, it still is the silly little eyebot's fault that it won't stay connected to it's battery.

I doubt that anyone programmed it to disconnect power after every bump or turn.

Jerry

Ok, I'm the guy who decided to purchase the Eyebots. On paper they are pretty good. The problem is the manufacturing.

There was another robot platform I was looking at but the bots are about twice the cost:
http://k-team.com/.
As it turns out they are made much better than the Eyebots.

So, when you guys graduate and start making the big bucks remember me and consider donating a few dollars to the robot group. For around $30,000 I could replace all of the Eyebots and send each of you one to drop off the nearest rooftop  :-) .
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Ryan Lintker

I was just thinking that the bots we have may last longer if there was something else to take our agressions out on.  A little stuffed version sounds good to me.

Maybe CAOS could look into getting some made, and we could sell them on the internet to schools around the country whose students love the boogers as much as we do.

Jerry

Hmmm, stuffed eyebots for frustrated robot scientists.... I LIKE IT!

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...