• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

CAOS Weekly Philosophy: You WILL read this.*beam shoots to your head*

Started by Brad Nunnally, 2005-04-12T17:01:10-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Nunnally

In light of Sony's new patent, I figure I would bring up the moral, sociological, and philosophical aspects of the possible new technology.

For the moral issue let’s use this example. If they can create a sensation in your mind to mimic that of your enemies blood splattering across you face, how long will it be till marketing firms use it to beam thing into your head? Think about it, your sitting at home watching a little T.V. then all of a sudden your see those golden arches and then a flash of light and you get this uncontrollable desire for a big mac. This may sound a little crazy but it is only one step farther than they want to take this technology.

If they are able to create or mimic sensations in your mind, they are only a stones throw away from either beaming information and desires in as well as possibly taking stuff out. We could be looking at a new way to market things, instead of making flashy commercials, you make you audience desire the product so they want to buy it no matter what. Entire aspects of our social life could change with a blink of the eye.

Think about them getting to the point where they can download stuff out of your head. The future idea of downloading your "self" into a computer doesn't seem to far fetch. But, if you are able to do this would that still be you in there? Is this a possible way to live forever if you download yourself at the last minute of your life? So pretty amazing and scary ideas come to mind when I think about all the things this new technology could do.

Where do you see this technology going? How far do you think society will take it? Are we looking at a matrix like future where people choose to me jacked in rather than the machines doing it for us?

Brad Ty Nunnally
CAOS Vice-Pres.

:help:

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense. "
Gertrude Stein
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Tyler

I think the first step to being half cyborg will be computer chip implants in our brains/muscles to speed up how fast we think/move.  I imagine it will start for fully legit and good purposes, like people with handicaps and disabilities.  These are people that could really benefit from such technological advances.  

But as soon as the technology is there, a black market will start for it, leading to some major issues as we can all imagine.  It could end up like xmen 2, we're there's a division of people that are different that have chip implants, and these people may not be eligible for a certain event because they have an unfair advantage.  And as we all know, as soon as we exclude a certain sect of the population, people will get pissed off pretty quick.

[obligatory matrix reference]
Of course if we ever download stuff directly onto our brain, we'll be like people unplugged from the Matrix.

Neo: I know Kung Fu
Morpheus: Show me.
[/obligatory matrix reference]
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

William Grim

QuoteNeo: I know Kung Fu

Trebek: For the last time: No, no you don't!
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley