• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Robots invade my home

Started by Jerry, 2005-06-01T12:20:38-05:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

I recently received a Roomba, robot vaccum cleaner from iRobot as a gift.

It's great!!  :dance:

I hit the button, leave the house, and come back to a clean floor. Roomba is docked with its station and charging. Of course you don't have to leave the house, but the point is you turn it on and you don't have to think about it. Our dogs don't care about it, they just get out of the way if it comes near them. We'll be vaccuming more often, so I suspect that we'll have less dust in the house too!

It's so great we are going to get the newest robot cleaner that is coming out: Scooba

It is a robot mopper!
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Ross Mead

I've been seriously considering buying one of these.  I've heard nothing but good things about them.

So let's see... we'll need a Roomba for cleaning the floor of the robotics lab... and a Scooba to clean the floor outside the lab... live webcames attached to each... sounds like Taz, Marvin, and Elmer could be gettin' some company... :-P

Bryan

I can see it now, One day Dr. Weinberg and the misses come home to find the locks on their doors change, their puppies enslaved, and a house full of roomba's laying back on the furniture sipping martini's
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Tyler

I've seen them on tv for awhile, and they always look pretty impressive.  The problem (for me at least) comes with the price tag.  I can vacuum my apartment in about 20 minutes.  And I have trouble buying this cool thing for a couple hundred bucks.  I guess it would vacuum everyday, and I would always come back to clean floors.  But is it worth it?
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Jerry

Quotetfizzle wrote:
 I can vacuum my apartment in about 20 minutes.

Yeah, but in a couple of years you'll be living in that 4 bedroom house with a dog, tfizzle jr., and tfizzlette on the way ...

Bryan

I just got a glimpse of that future in my head and I'm not sure what's more scary...Tyler's future with that in it..or my own  :-o  :-o

But on a different note Dr. Weinberg are you telling us that a Jerry Jr. is on the way?
Bryan Grubaugh

Ross Mead

QuoteBut on a different note Dr. Weinberg are you telling us that a Jerry Jr. is on the way?

This is how evil rumors get started... beautiful!

I'm gonna' run up and down the halls of the engineering building yelling "Bun in the oven!"  Who's with me... ?

... anyone... ? :-P

On a topic-related note, I'm now on the lookout for one of these Roombas and seriously considering buying one.  As a robot geek, this is more of a toy for me than a vaccum cleaner (i.e., it might be broken in a week... ).  Dr. Weinberg, you should bring it into the robotics lab someday; I'd really like to see one run, if anything, to fully convince me to buy one.  *plug* It would make an awesome example for the robotics class, which I hope many CS students sign up for the next time it is offered! */plug* :-D

Jerry

QuoteModernDayDarwin wrote:
 Dr. Weinberg are you telling us that a Jerry Jr. is on the way?

NO!  :no:

Bryan

QuoteJerry wrote:

NO!  :no:

any comments I make at this point would probably violate the professor-student relationship far more than I should.  So I'm just going to shut up.
Bryan Grubaugh

Tyler

You may make fun of me Bryan, but I can only imagine your kids with a motto like survival of the fittest!
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Bryan

except I'm going to do this world a favor and not reproduce.  Of course knowing my luck I'll have 12 kids or something.

ya'll are screwed hate to tell ya.
Bryan Grubaugh

firstly, find a woman you must...and then look into the combat V, if you join the military they'll do it for free.  Then you can truly live your "Survival of the fittest" and not worry about reproducing little redheads w/ glasses.

Bryan

Yes, because joining the military is a great way to ensure your survival.  you may come back big and strong...if you come back.  I'm not even going to touch on the "get a woman" comment especially considering I've seen some of the women you've taken home NewMC
Bryan Grubaugh

Fred Jones

looking into the combat V... interesting :-P

enjoy-