• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

What's your favorite programming language?

Started by Tyler, 2005-06-05T16:59:49-05:00 (Sunday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

I was going to make this a poll, but there are a bunch of languages that I'm sure I've never heard of.

So, what's your favorite language and why?
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Bryan

Dr. Scheme

but in all seriousness I don't think I have any one favorite language.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

bill corcoran

my favorite is binary.  because it's not a language, it's a numbering system  =)
-bill

Kade P. Cole

I am kinda partial to the P's from LAMP. Perl, PHP and Python are  very flexible and great for writing quick web apps. The best is that they are so portable and can be used on any platform with one writing. I like to keep things simple and flexible.
Kade
--------------------------------------
Most people HAVE to use a PC.
I GET to use a MAC with OS X!

My favorite language is C++!!!!
(powerful isnt it?)

Tyler

Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

raptor

What no one wants to use punch cards any more. And whatever happened to good 'ol BASIC

can I get a gosub

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

The_ME

Forth. It's simple, small, and interactive. Right now I am using the RetroForth flavor.

Jerry

QuoteThe_ME wrote:
Forth. It's simple, small, and interactive. Right now I am using the RetroForth flavor.

I like the bottom-up languages like Forth, though Lisp is my favorite.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

William Grim

My favorite "portable ASM" language is C because of its flexibility, speed, and low-level acceptance.

I'd have to say I like python the best out of the scripting world.  Though, I have really only used /bin/sh, PHP, python, and perl.  I tried ruby one day, but I didn't have time to learn how to use it.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Peter Motyka

As much as I hate to admit it... I am quite fond of C# and the .NET framework.  I've been porting code over from Java to this platform and have found instances where logic requiring several lines of Java can be reimplented in a single C#/.NET statement.

However, C# is not my favorite programming language.  When I really want to get my jollies writting code, I fire up a SSH session and VIM and churn out some PHP.
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

derrickb52

I notice a lot of people replying, but very few explaining why they like this or that language... I'm curious, what makes PHP so great? I read up on it a little, but it doesn't look very appetizing to me.

As far as what I like? I'd say C++. Is it powerful? What's the definition? It's fairly portable, and there is a lot of support for doing some low level programming (device drivers, other OS stuff), and for serious processor efficient stuff, as well as higher level stuff (MFC), of course if you're going to build a GUI you may as well use something simpler like VB.

I also kinda dig the whole DOM thing that is trying to happen in HTML, if only all the browsers would stick to a standard. And let's not forget about Javascript! Totally awesome...

Yep

Jarod Neuner

Assembly, because I never have a doubt about what a statement is really doing.
Jarod......

Bryan

I guess it is hard to confuse what the statment "move value x from memory location y to memory location z" is actually doing   :-P
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.