• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Navigation for the mouse impaired

Started by Brad Nunnally, 2005-07-19T13:16:52-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Nunnally

I saw this on the science channel the other night I thought it was a neat idea for a new type of interface designing and interface navigation. It integrates a webcam that moves the mouse cursor depending on the position of your nose. Clicks are determined by blinking either your right or left eye.

I can see how this would have great application for disabled users. Seeing as the software for this is downloadedable I think it would cool if we could test it out in some way.

The almighty nouse.
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Tyler

The only problem is that some people have trouble blinking.  i.e., me.  I am unable to blink either eye, and I can only hypothesize that there are others like me.

Of course I am not mouse impared so really there is no problem.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Bryan

it would be better if we're able to adapt eye tracking technology to directly map it to an interface.  By integrating that as well as a "focal point" time we can differentiate between someone looking at something and someone wanting to actually activate something.  I think this migh tactually be pretty cool to research.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Tyler

I think there would have to be some sort of extra action needed to facilitate a "click" other than time staring at it.

What if someone has trouble reading a the text on a link or button?  What if someone looks at the object deciding whether to click it or proceed?

Personally, what I think would work the best is that it tracks your eyes as the pointer, and then you could click your teeth as the mouse.  This would be unobtrusive to the person using the interface as well as those around him/her.  

On the downside this would make it hard to much on nachos while working on your Senior Project.

The other downside is that it would alienate people without teeth and people that grind their teeth as a habit.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Brad Nunnally

The reason why the designer picked the nose was it was the easiest thing on the face that the program could "grab" on to. Your nose is unique on your face so it makes it easier for the software to track its movements.

I agree that having something different than your eyes blinking for the clicking though. Just think if you got a nervous eye twitch thing going on at that time. You would be clicking like crazy. When I first heard about it the first thing that came to mind was, "Ohh no they will be making you click by twitching your nose", lucky I was wrong.
Brad Ty Nunnally
Former CAOS Hooligan

Bryan

The one thing I've learned while doing research is that there are always 103127193573198571351 "what if..."  My suggestions were just those..it might be interesting to try and form some kidn of research project out of it.  Brad, you need a URA idea?
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Brad Nunnally

I thought of the URA thing, but the time has passed where I would be able to do it since I plan to gradute in the fall of 2006. However I have been toying around the idea of doing the research anyway in my free time with my own money just so I can do it. Plus, it sounds really cool due to some of the ideas I could try with the nouse.
Brad Ty Nunnally
Former CAOS Hooligan