• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

RED HAT newbie networking trouble

Started by Guest, 2002-09-17T09:59:23-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

hi
i'm new to Linux and this forum so apologies if this is a stupid question. Just installed red hat 7.3. I've got Charter pipeline shared w/ a Linksys router. My network conection seems to die under Red Hat after about 20 minutes or so. I tried looking up RH online documentation but didn't find anything that  Anyone know any fix?
Thanks

doublemint

Peter Motyka

login as root and run "ifconfig" and paste us the output.  Also, when the network connection "dies", try pinging your linksys router.  Is it your internet connectivity that is dead, or local network traffic too?  Last but not least, what kind of ethernet card is it?

Hopefully we will be able to help you out when we get these details :)

I have a OpenBSD system connected to my Charter Pipeline, so I dont think it is a problem with the modem/cable interface.

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

Michael Kennedy

I have similar problems with my Mandrake 8.2.  (Keep in mind i'm also a newbie.)  Here's my scenerio: I turn on the PC (or reboot, doesn't matter) and it starts Mandrake 8.2 (secure kernel).  I go to a different PC and ping it's IP address- nothing.  I log in to Mandrake at the PC's own keyboard and get my prompt.  Ping it again from another PC- nothing.  I start X.  Ping from another PC- nothing.  I click on drakconf ("Control Center") (ping = nothing), then "Network and Internet" (ping = nothing), "Connection" (ping = success).  When you select "Connection" it actually does finally do whatever it needs to do to start up it's networking services.

The IP is static and nothing on my network, etc seems to be the problem.  Inside drakconf I select services and can see that "network" is supposed to start up on boot, but nothing happens.

The steps I went through above is the only way I know of to get conencted.  Obviously, I need to not be home to get the network to come up.  Also, SMB apprears to do the exact same thing.  I have to go into services and restart SMB to use it.

Any help is appreciated.  Both "network" and SMB are supposed to start at boot, and it appears that they at least try, but I'm getting nothing.  After that everything works great, though...
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"