• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Possible Independent Study: Parallel Computing

Started by William Grim, 2005-07-22T12:01:12-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

William Grim

I was wondering if anyone was interested in doing a possible independent study with me based around the topic of parallel computing?

I've been doing some requirements analysis for a game server I want to implement.  However, while the server has the guise of a game server, it is actually a distributed n-tier server architecture that supports dynamically loadable data model plugins.

Several clients may connect to the server and begin new sessions (start new games), join existing sessions, or part sessions (quit games) and cooperatively or competitively interact in data model simulations to evolve data models to (possible) solutions to various problems.

The server, when implemented, would be fully distributed, with data model instances existing in only one location at any given time.  However, many instances of a certain data model may exist in various sessions at various locations at any given time.  The server would be a proxy to data model sessions, providing a networked message passing interface and will do general bookkeeping with a small database.

Clients, depending on the rules of a given data model, may act in parallel or in turn to evolve a data model.

What do you think?  I think it sounds pretty fun, and the design in my head mimics a few things about microkernsls.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Bryan

sounds like an awesome project...completely out of my league of interest...but pretty damn cool none the less.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

William Grim

Thanks!

ITE is the sort of thing that would probably need a couple people to get completed within a semester.

However, failing the ability to find a second person, I can just work on it in my spare time and maybe try to get an independent study working on a device driver framework specifically targetting the GNU/Hurd on L4 microkernel but with OS-independence in mind.

If anyone is still interested in the parallel computing architecture, let me know!!

Thanks much!   :-)  :-P
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley