• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Qwute of the Day

Started by Sheila Shahpari, 2005-07-24T16:40:35-05:00 (Sunday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheila Shahpari

Definately one of my favorites...

"You got a department store.  What kind of departments you have?  Men's wear, lady's wear, infant, youth, shoes..  You go to the shoe store, you cannot buy one shoe from one pair and one from different, right?  You cannot try on shoes in underwear department!  Men's wear you can try on,  lady's wear you can try on, coat you can try on.  Underwear you cannot try on!"

Bryan

Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

derrickb52

Jerry

I think this is an analogy for object oriented programming.

The department store is a program. Each department in the store is an instance of a class. The shopper is requesting service from each of the "departments". The shopper can only buy (get information) or look at ("try on") what the department (the class instance) allows the shopper to do based on the definition of that department (class).

Of course this analogy breaks down quickly when you realize that a shopper can walk down and "look at" any aisle he/she wants to, at anytime.

I once used the analogy of personal information that people carry around in their wallets and purses. This analogy upholds the information hiding part of object oriented programming.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Bryan

The mind of Dr. Wu is great and vast.  We feeble minded individuals simply can't comprehend the massive amounts of information his mind is pro...

...okay I can't even try and finish that with a straight face  :lol:
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Sheila Shahpari

You know, he usually had some rationale behind what he was  trying to say (minus a few Qwutes..see the next one for more insight).  He would just usually fail to explain the Qwute, so if you didn't understand the concept beforehand you were kinda screwed from seeing the similitude.

I'm kinda reminded of how Tim Taylor would "reinterpret" neighbor Wilson's advice..