• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Qwute of the Day

Started by Sheila Shahpari, 2005-07-22T16:43:21-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheila Shahpari

"Program cost like boyfriend bank account.  Boyfriend and girlfriend love each other very much.  They make joint account.  Boyfriend work very hard put money in there, the other person..heh heh...take money and go drink!"

Jerry

:blink:  

I understood the last one, but could someone please explain this one to me.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Brett

Dr. Wu is the only one who could explain that one.

DaleDoe

QuoteDr. Wu is the only one who could explain that one.
Yes, but would the explanation make any sense? :roll:
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

Sheila Shahpari

I believe he was talking about the cost of program maintenance, if that helps....

Jonathan Birch

I want to say this was an explanation of passing variables by name. I'm not really sure though.

Sheila Shahpari

He did like using this quote in many situations, although another name passing quote is yet to come!

Stay tuned, ladies and gentleman..

:wink:
:beer:

Jerry

QuoteSlartyBartfast wrote:
I believe he was talking about the cost of program maintenance, if that helps....

Sooooo, the "boyfriend" is the programmer and the "girlfriend" is the program?

Who is going drinking the programmer or the program?

Or maybe we are all suppose to go drinking: the more we drink the more this analogy makes sense  :-
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Sheila Shahpari

After much deliberation I think I've figured it out..  

"Program cost like boyfriend bank account."
= Cost of software maintenance is much like a boyfriend's bank account.

"Boyfriend and girlfriend love each other very much.  They make joint account."
= The boyfriend and his girlfriend love each other very much, so they decide to make a joint bank account.

"Boyfriend work very hard put money in there, the other person..heh heh...take money and go drink!"
= The boyfriend works very hard to put money in the account, but in doing so drives his girlfriend to alcoholism (Much like program development can do).  

So, the boyfriend is a synonym for software development, and the girlfriend is the software developer.  

Cost of software maintenance is a synonym for the bank account, which is a synonym for a beer glass - it keeps getting emptied by the girlfriend!

This is deep on SOO many different levels.

Any other ideas?

Ryan Lintker

I think it could also be applied to people "working" together on programs.

"Girlfriend" is the hot chick in CS 140 that some of the fellas want to impress.  This makes them the "boyfriend."  The boyfriend works hard to write the program, shares it with her jointly, she gets her 90% and goes drinking with athletes on the weekend while he works on the next assignment.  Maybe the cost is that only one person learns anything, and the girlfriend gets more popular and diseased by her drinking.

Maybe I think this way since I was a grader, and also had Dr. Wu as a teacher and a boss.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones