• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Charter SMTP not routing to gmail?

Started by Bryan, 2005-07-27T14:52:21-05:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

Could someone possibly decipher this for me?

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:   RE: Fwd: ACM Chapter Annual Report Reminder
      Sent:   7/27/2005 2:48 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'Ross Mead' on 7/27/2005 2:48 PM
            450 4.4.0 ... Relaying temporarily denied. Cannot resolve PTR record for 24.216.185.***

'Brad Nunnally' on 7/27/2005 2:48 PM
            450 4.4.0 ... Relaying temporarily denied. Cannot resolve PTR record for 24.216.185.***
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

R. Andrew Lamonica

What SMTP server are you using?

stmp.siue.edu?
smtp.charter.net?

If you are using an SMTP server that is not owned by the company that you are getting you Internet access through then they will probably deny relaying.  For example, sending mail to google using SIUE's server but and workstation that is off campus (webmail.siue.edu is on campus) will not work unless you are sending mail to someone with an @SIUE.EDU address.

Basic SMTP does not support authentication so this is the only way to stop spammers from relaying their e-mail from through an innocent server.

FYI.  It does not really matter what SMTP server you use to send mail.  Some spam filters don’t like mail that has a different return-address server from the SMTP server but I use Charter’s SMTP server at home to send siue.edu mail and I almost never have trouble.

Bryan

Sorry, I'm set up on my home charter SMTP server (smtp.charter.net) same as I have been for...many many years.  This problem started happening (notably) a week ago.

Elizabeth if you read this, that's why I haven't contacted you about going out for lunch...you haven't been getting my emails.
Bryan Grubaugh

bill corcoran

looks like charter fucked up.  24.216.185.*** needs a name, and the name and the ip need to point to eachother.

PTR Record

now, if 24.216.185.*** is your cable modem's IP, try and get a  new one.  otherwise, there's nothing you can do until charter fixes their dns.
-bill

R. Andrew Lamonica

I have a 24.107.* with Charter that is still working (and reverse resolving), but it is possible that they only messed up your subnet ;-)

Sounds like it is time to get a gmail account.  You can still use Secure-POP and Secure-SMTP with gmail if your mail client supports them.

Bryan

Bryan Grubaugh

William Grim

Yes, Bill is correct that the problem is Charter's PTR records being non-existant.  It is probably because they just updated some DNS records, and they have not propagated yet (unless this has been happening for a while).
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Bryan

I'm going to guess things are starting to propogate because now only 1 in every 2 or 3 I send are bouncing
Bryan Grubaugh