• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

CAOS Logo

Started by William Grim, 2005-08-15T00:35:45-05:00 (Monday)

Previous topic - Next topic

William Grim

I noticed that the webmin of CAOS never added the logo to our website, and I don't think he's returning this fall.  Therefore, I took the liberty to place it at the top of the CAOS pages for a bit to see what everyone thinks.  I'm going to use gimp to shrink the image down a little bit, because for a header, it's a little large (if that's alright with you).

I think playing with a smaller image and some text would make the banner look more full while not taking up half a screen for something people will skip past anyway.

I'm going to play around with inverting the image and using it for our new icon that is displayed next to the URL in your address bar.  Right now, it doesn't show up well with its current coloring.

Let me know what you think.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Brad Nunnally

Sounds good to me, kinda got a shock out of it when I saw it. Alittle smaller would do some good. Thanks Mike.
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Jerry

Looks good.

If the CAOS Web Admin is not returning you'll need to elect a new one. Otherwise a current officer will have to assume the duties.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

R. Andrew Lamonica

Perhaps the designer (Jonathan Birch) of this logo can provide us with a transparent GIF or a cropped down version for the site title.

Jonathan Birch

The same idea occurred to me.

I'll try and get a few alternate versions worked out in the near future, although it may take me a couple days...

BTW, where should I send them?

William Grim

Sending them to officers at caos dot siue dot edu would be best.

If you do make them transparent or something, could we get PNG formats instead of GIF formats though?  Thanks!
William Grim

R. Andrew Lamonica

Keep in mind that transparent PNG's don't always work in IE so you might want to post a GIF to this site.

http://entropymine.com/jason/testbed/pngtrans/

I did a color count and there are only 141 colors (grays) in this image so GIF should look OK as long as it is converted correctly.  

I understand that the objections to GIF are not necessarily due to its effectiveness, but we do what something that works. ;-)

William Grim

We do want something that works, but I don't see transparent support being a major issue.  That is really MS' fault for lacking good PNG support, but they are supposedly fixing all those issues with their upcoming IE7.

I'm not really sure why we want transparent anyway.  Those digital-like letters wouldn't show up well on that blue background I don't think.

Plus, yeah, my main objects to using GIF are the ones to which you linked.  I'd also really like PNG more because it's an open format.
William Grim

Jonathan Birch

OK. I've sent a smaller (1/2 size) version as well as transparent PNG's for both sizes.

I would have done .GIF's too, but the software I have doesn't seem to support that sort of export (it may be that I just can't find it).