• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Dvorak: Linux too much like Windows

Started by Peter Motyka, 2002-12-22T11:17:50-06:00 (Sunday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Motyka

From slashdot.org

Posted by CmdrTaco on Sunday December 22, @12:06PM
from the well-thats-true dept.
inode_buddha was among a handful of folks who submitted linkage to Dvorak's latest column where he talks about Linux being to much like Windows. Its not really a slam, just a challange to be more innovative and look beyond feature creap and UI concepts that are old and tired. Hard to disagree with most of it.

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/12/22/1617210.shtml?tid=106

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

Stiffler

Hmmm...maybe Linux is starting to become more Windows like?!? That needs to change. Granted, user interfaces should be simple and easy-to-use, but not look like the Windows envirinment. Offense to MS, The user interfaces are somewhat nice, and somewhat easy-to-use, but they could be better. The first time I used PowerPoint, I spent several hours trying to figure out how to do one task. Hopefully OpenOffice will be better.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

William Grim

I have to agree, much of the window makers are a copy of the Windows GUI.  Regardless of what that author thinks, I think that the GUI Windows has is good, but I do agree with him that it's time to innovate.

Linux is at a maturity level that could be related to something like its "teens".  It needs to find itself and make a statement.

When I was at an ACM conference at U of I this year, I heard people talking about future UIs possibly being virtual reality systems.  Why not try something like this on the Unix landscape?  It would certainly be innovative and pretty kick-ass!

BTW, MS Office is way better than OpenOffice, GUI style and usability and all.  If you want to do projects in Unix, you should try LaTeX/TeX and the add-on components.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Jim Sodam

Well I see no problem with being more Windows like, just because it's MS doesn't mean it's bad. ;)

But I also think there is probably a better way of doing it, I don't know what it is though.