• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Panther is coming Oct 24!

Started by Kade P. Cole, 2003-10-08T10:23:56-05:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Kade P. Cole

For all of you out there with Macs or if you have ever wanted to try a Mac, get ready for Panther. It is the next version of Mac OS X software and it is amazing. Expose will blow you away :-o. Everyone should venture out to their nearest Appple Store and at least give this new OS a look. Read more about it here.
Kade
--------------------------------------
Most people HAVE to use a PC.
I GET to use a MAC with OS X!

Gish

The real question is it worth the cost?

Kade P. Cole

Quoteby Gish on 2003/10/12 5:05:04

The real question is it worth the cost?

I can defiantly say Panther is worth the cost to anyone who has the hardware to run Panther. I have been running it for about 2 months now in beta form and it is a great upgrade. Very fast and very stable. It includes too many new features to list. Read more about all the new features here.
Kade

Michael Kennedy

Is there a way to install OS X inside of Windows like you can with VMware?  I noticed that the version of VMware that I have doesnt list OS X or anything like that as a supported OS, but does anyone know of something similar to VMware that will let me run OS X?

I'd like to take a look at OS X if I dont have to put yet another computer on my desk.  If I have to do that I assume no one has a Mac they'd like to get rid of for pretty cheap, do they?  :)
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Kade P. Cole

As far as I know, there is no Windows emulator that emulates the PowerPC chip that is used in Macintosh computers. So in summary sorry the only way I know of is to get a Macintosh computer to run Mac OS X. This is part of the reason the Macintosh is such a wonderful computing experience. Apple can control the hardware and software and make a complete package that is a total contrast to the WIndows monopoly. Well I went on a little too much so I will end this now.
Kade

Michael Kennedy

Too bad they can't/won't work on more standard hardware, though.  I know that they'll never do an x86 version because it'll kill their hardware business, but it'd be nice if they would.  And I'm not sure if the hardware aids in the computing experience since I'm sure they can adapt things for an x86 and have it come out just as nice, but I'd still love to play with OS X somehow.  :P
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"