• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Improve your computer skills!

Started by Jarod Neuner, 2004-09-17T00:19:49-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarod Neuner

Here it is folks, the way to start your career in computer science! All you need do is follow this simple guide and you will be well on your way to the six-figure salary all IT Professionals enjoy.

Enjoy!

There is something fundamentaly wrong with this page ;p
Jarod......

William Grim

How do I do it on Linux?  Also, how do I know if I'm running Linux in the first place?  What about BSD?  What about Solaris, Irix, or Apple ][?
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Chris Swingler

QuoteWindows 95/98/NT/2000

1. Click on the START button.
   2. Select SETTINGS.
   3. Select CONTROL PANEL.
   4. Double click on the SYSTEM icon. Your computer's operating system is listed under "System" in the upper right portion of the "System" window.

Wait, wait, wait.  So I'm supposed to take an educated guess at my operating system, and then follow the steps to find out for sure?  Huh?
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Tyler

Does anyone else find it somewhat odd that this page is designed to help you find out the operating system you're running, but it gives instructions by operating systems?  How would someone know to use the instructions under Windows XP if they don't know they have Windows XP?

Seems a little odd to me, but then again, I never cease to be amazed at how little most people know about computers.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

if we knew what operating system we were in ? then is there any need for these steps.i do feel that they should have been a common method to check in any system

Jarod Neuner

There is a common method. Read the splash screen during the boot cycle.

That is universal across Linux, Macintosh, Windows....
Jarod......