• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Do you suffer from internet withdrawl?

Started by Tyler, 2004-09-24T15:08:40-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

A story http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/23/internet_junkies/">here (at the register) talks about how some computer geeks started going through withdrawls after a couple weeks of not having internet access.

I for one can say I have this.  In cougar village, where the internet mysteriously goes down at random times, I find myself entirely lost.  I minimize and maximize windows over and over again, open up firefox and the close it again, open up solitaire play about 2 cards and close it.  I don't know what to do without the internet on my computer.  I don't even know what I did on my computer back in the pre-internet-everywhere days.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Michael Kennedy

Quotedon't even know what I did on my computer back in the pre-internet-everywhere days.

Doom.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Jerry

Pre-Internet Everywhere:

1. Used a BBS yellow pages
2. Wizardry
3. Zork
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

DaleDoe

Quotepre-internet-everywhere days

I must be living in the past because there is no internet at my house.  Due to a lack of disposable income I have never had the internet at home.

I guess I'm not a true computer geek since I don't have Internet.  On the other hand, I run Slackware Linux and I'm capable of recompiling the kernel :nerd:, so you decide.

As for what I use my computer for:
Back in the day when I had free time I played a lot of Rise of the Triad. :gunfire:

In college I only used it for homework.

Now it is only used as a jukebox full of MP3s. :punk:
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

Tyler

I can't recompile the kernel (you got me there), I do have internet, and my computer is also a jukebox full of Mp3s.  Netzero I think is $9.95 a month.  I guess I just live large . :pc:
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

DaleDoe

Recompiling the kernel isn't hard with RedHat.  Now that I think of it I didn't actually recompile the kernel on Slackware, I recompiled it with the tools on RedHat and copied it over to Slackware.  I was hoping that recompiling the kernel for my P3 would make it faster, but I couldn't tell any difference--at least with the GNU compiler I used.

In November my internet will be free--Boeing will pay for it since I'll be working from home. :-D  Since it costs the company less for office space they'll buy me a laptop, DSL, and a cell phone to work from home.  It will save me over 2 hrs/day commuting.  Sweet deal, eh?  8-)
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison