• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Are the browser wars back?

Started by Tyler, 2004-10-08T12:17:49-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

We all remember the Netscape vs. IE browse wars.  Most agree that IE won (at least when it comes to market share).  Now, however, with Firefox downloads going sky high, and other browsers like Opera picking up speed to, maybe the browser wars will be coming back.  

I personally use Firefox.  I wonder what the next step could be from Microsoft to keep IE the most used browser.  I wouldn't be surprised if they send out a windows update that will keep any browser other than IE from working on Windows boxes.

Full story http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/0,39020369,39169278,00.htm">here

Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

William Grim

William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Brett

William Grim

William Grim

Tyler

Come on now.  Let's all act like big boys.

William Grim

Well, it's just that we can all read slashdot.
William Grim

Tyler

That's true.  But you have to be pretty quick to be the first post on slashdot, and you have to wade through several hundred posts to come across someone that goes to SIUE.  This I would say is a slightly more tight-knit community than Slashdot.

William Grim

William Grim

Tyler

Also, I believe MSN, Yahoo, CNN, Fox News, etc all report on the same news, so why would they all exist.  And I know about wired and the register, so why would I even go to Slashdot.  I apologize for the sarcasm, but just making a point.  

I bet a good percentage of the Caos visitors have never even heard of slashdot.  It's the homepage in most of the labs in the Computer Science buildings, which means a lot of 140 and 150 students see it often, and they may not have yet hit the pinnacle of nerddom that results in checking slashdot 20 times a day (guilty as charged).

William Grim

William Grim

Jonathan Birch

I think a lot of people who work with computers go through a 'slashdot phase'.

I used to be a regular visitor to the land where Jon Katz was reviled, Wil Wheaton was given immense respect, and Natalie Portman and hot grits were worshipped.

Later, I stopped coming back so often when I found I had more important uses for my time. I do still read /. occasionally, but I certainly don't check it every two hours like I used to.

Tyler

What I do is write headline fetchers that cache the headlines of all the places I would check on a normal day, and then I can view them all in one place, and save some time and effort.

Sometimes I have quite a bit of free time at work, so I do check headlines every 20 minutes.