• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

New iPod Shuffle

Started by Tyler, 2005-01-19T09:39:53-06:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

Ipod is trying even futher to increase it's hold on the world's digital music.  Last week Apple announced the new iPod Shuffle.  It uses flash based memory instead of the normal iPod magnetic hard drive.  Doing this makes it cheaper ($99 for the 512meg model), and lighter (Apple claims smaller and lighter than a pack of gum).  

Supposedly the new strategy is working.  There's already a 4 week wait for the iPod shuffle.  It comes with a lanyard and is ready to go right out of the box.

Full story http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=12666">here

Personally, I'm a little wary of the 512meg.  It's much smaller than the 20, 30, 40, even 60gig available iPods now.  But I suppose this is being marketed to different people.  People going out running and people on the move that need a light, portable digital music player that is as on the move as they are.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Bryan

personally I think Apple dropped the ball on this one. The idea of a small flash based player for less money is indeed a great idea. HOWEVER, Apple has always been known for its amazing innovation and new ideas.  The idea of a small pack of gum sized flash player is niether new NOR innovative.  Not only that but other flashed size players similar to it have a small LCD to show you the song title, have AM/FM receivers to listen to the radio, AND have a built in microphone for voice recording.

shame on you Apple, shame on you...
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Tyler

I agree, but for a different reason.  Apple has never been one to cater to the financially strapped.  They have marketed to people willing to pay $400 for an MP3 player because it's just so damn cool to have one.  

This is somewhat out of character for them, but I can see why they are doing for the fact that they are simply trying to increase their share of the market by expanding their line of products.

Bryan

SO basically you are upset because you can't whore yourself to commericial industry and buy a trendy new ipod shuffle.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Tyler

No, it's not really that I'm upset.  I just think they sold out they're image slightly in an effort to gain money and revenue.

And who's to say that's a bad thing?