• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

The state of CAOS

Started by Bryan, 2005-01-30T11:24:00-06:00 (Sunday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

I would like to use this post to talk about everything that happened at the meeting and the potential plans for this semester.  First off I would like to take this time to thank Dr. Weinberg, the former faculty mentor for our organization.  Thank you for all of your hard work and helping out.  With that I would also like to welcome Dr. Blythe, our NEW faculty mentor who will be helping fight the red tape and guide us into a worth while organization.

Speaking of newcomers, I would like to welcome our newest officers.  

President - Ross Mead
Vice President - Brad Nunnaly
Treasuer - yours truly
Secretary - Tyler Douthitt
LUUCS head - Mike Grim
Web Administrator - I feel bad because I forgot your name

These will be the people that will be organizing everything and making sure this organization runs.  It is everyone's job to knock them upside the head if they start to slack  :-P You should also take the time to thank them for the hard work they will be doing, running a student organzation is not fun, IN THE LEAST. That i can tell you from personal experience.  We are going to be organizing quite a bit of events this semester and our goal is to hold 1 event every 2 weeks and have 1 meeting every 2 weeks.  During the meetings we are going to be inviting faculty from the CS department and possibly the ECE department to discuss their research with us.  It will be a time to get to know your faculty and possibly realize something you may be interested in researching.  

The events that we've decided to hold this semester are as follows:

Movie Night (perhaps multiple)
Poker Night (with prizers)
Game night (board/card games)
LUUCS installfest
Faculty/student bowling night
Elite Gaming Lan event (all nighter!)
Faculty/student trivia night

These should be enough events to get us through this semester.  If we find any spare weeks or anything like that we may add some stuff.  This is a pretty hefty goal considering the past few semesters we havent' done much more than have meetings.  Everyone should try and and make it to as many events/meetings as possible.  Tell your friends, tell your friends friends, announce it in class.  Let's try and get this group up in numbers BIG TIME...bonus points to anyone that gets girls to come :-P.

The first event is scheduled for February 11th we are going to be holding a double feature with Hackers & Hacker 2 (operation track down).  Look for more details to come!

Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Chris Swingler

Hey, my reply button finally showed up!

I'm the new web administrator, my name's Christopher Swingler.  Don't feel bad that you forgot my name, I was out of that meeting damned quick because I was hungry. :-P

This week I will get on top of making sure the mailing lists are up and working, since that will be our primary means of communication for meetings and between officers.

Next, I'm going to fix this board.  Get the "..." out of sigs, get the Reply button working properly, figure out where my Administration menu went, and hopefully get it running a little faster.  I'm also going to set up a couple of prototypes of a few other boards (phpbb and postnuke, probably) for you guys to check out.  I'm curious as to if clearing out inactive users (we have a lot of people with zero postcounts) would help the speed.

I'm going to start a thread in a few weeks regarding changes, and open up the floor for suggestions/questions/complaints about how our intarweb communications are going.
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Tyler

Yeah, the reply button is working right again.

Good idea about the signature, and don't forget about the admin privileges for the officers (that's cool to me because I live on this forum).  I do think the mainpage does load pretty slow.  It appears to me as if the page displayed is cached every few minutes, because my posts don't always appear right away.  If this is true, I'm not sure why the mainpage is so slow because it's not doing all the db pulls in realtime.  But, I could be wrong on this.

I will admit, I have not been active in CAOS in over year.  But, in my defense, not much happened last semester, and the semester before I was busy with my psycho exgirlfriend. I'm really excited about CAOS this semester, and I think we could really grow it by leaps and bounds.

For now, I am looking forward to a great semester of hanging out with fellow computer nerds.  Also, I would like to encourage everyone to set up an account (forget the anonymous posting), and start posting and responding.  The more people active in the forum, the better.

And it gives me something to see when I hit refresh all day at work.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

My reply button didn't work until I posted something first.  If I was logged in and I clicked home no reply buttons would show up.  To post something I had to go to the forum and then click reply from there.  After I posted something the reply button was working when I clicked home.  So, it works 90% good.
:hammer2:

Oxnard

Whoa, they made a second hackers?  This knowledge is somewhat frightening.

William Grim

No, Hackers 2 has never existed in movie form; the movie is just called "Operation: Takedown."

Hackers, the movie, had a great soundtrack that sold so well they created another CD called Hackers 2, based on the theme of the first CD.  There has never been a second movie, though.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Bryan

to add to what Mike said...the movie originally was pirated on the internet as "Hackers 2" which became it's pseudo name.  It was also titled "aka Operation Track Down" which is what I got it from Netflix as.  This movie has quite the history actually..and I'm told it's no where near as good as Hackers
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Tyler

No doubt.  When I saw looking for a picture for the flyer, I had to look under like 10 names to find one.  I even had to ask Bryan the name to look it up on.  I believe IMDB has it as Takedown.  I saw it as that, Track Down, Hackers 2 Operation Takedown, and others.  It's not a sequel to Hackers at all because it's about the capture of Kevin Mitnick.
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005