• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Blockbuster misleading on "No Late Fees" promotion

Started by Tyler, 2005-02-20T18:20:39-06:00 (Sunday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

I know this is exactly brand new news, but it is relatively new.  It turns out Blockbuster is not being totally honest with the no late fees.  According to the fine print, keeping the video more than a week past due date will result in a you purchasing the video.

This really comes as no surprise to me, because I've always hated Blockbuster.  I have never rented anything there.  It's outrageously expensive in the first place.  I've never understood why people rent stuff there when they can go to Shop n Save or Schnucks and pay no more than half of whatever Blockbuster charges for the same movie.

MSNBC reports the story
Retired CAOS Officer/Overachiever
SIUE Alumni Class of 2005

Brad Nunnally

Let loose the dogs of war!! Let the evil empire that is Blockbuster fall. You all know there is some greedy little exec somewhere sitting in their office go "Damn they caught on." I never thought I would say this, but I want late fees back.

BlockBuster

Brad Ty Nunnally
CAOS Vice-Pres.

"A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business."
Henry Ford
Brad Ty Nunnally
Business & Usabilty Consultant at Perficent
Former CAOS Hooligan

Devon Berry

Although I do not like Blockbuster either, I must say something in its defense.

If you looked at the fine print you would also notice that after you purchase the video or game you may return it within 30 days and they will refund you the purchase price minus a restocking fee which is supposed to be ~$2.00

The problem is that it does not say exactly what the restocking fee is, they could make it as much as the game or video is worth! Even though it sounds crazy, it is possible since it is not mentioned.

Regardless, I like the new system better, because I can rent all my games for 14 days instead of 7 for the same price. Even if I do screw up, I can then keep it for 30 more days and probably still pay less than what the late fees would be.

Blockbuster is still far too expensive though...