• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Game Development

Started by John, 2007-09-05T11:05:13-05:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Myself and another undergraduate are trying to get together a team to create a video game. We do not  want to create a trivial game such as a board game but, instead, want to create a real video game that is both engaging and time consuming. We have some great ideas for games so far, but would like to hear what other people's ideas are as well as get other people involved. We would like to get a team together where each individual can focus on his/her speciality (networking, data structures, graphics, etc.) potentially from many different majors.

There are a plathora of reasons for doing this, but, I think, the major reason would be the chance to put something like this on your resume. Employers receive thousands of resumes each year from Computer Scientist graduates, but, generally, only those who have shown that they can take that extra step into their field are the ones that make it to the top and get that larger offer.

Next week sometime (I will post when once I have figured out a good time and place) I am going to try and give a presentation on what I would like this development team to consist of and a more focused explination of what the game will consist of (Sorry, about the preposition. I am sick, and it's the best I can do right now). If you would be interested in attending this meeting, please send me a personal message or an email (jojenki at siue), so I can plan accordingly. Of course, if you come to this meeting it doesn't mean that you are part of the team or anything, but if you are at all interested, I highly recommend you show up to really hear what all this team has to offer

Thanks, and I will post the meeting time later this week.
Thanks,
John

Jesse Cook

I am seriously interested in this.  I actually already have a game in mind that I believe would make millions of dollars if sold to Nintendo.  In any event, I have Graphics, AI, Advanced Algorithms, and Neural Networks to name a few.  The only problem is time.  I'm doing senior projects, working 30 hours a week, and getting married this semester.  However, this does not change my enthusiasm for this type of project especially if we were to use something like the Nintendo DS as our target platform.
Jesse James Cook
7 Yr Prog, Computer Science
Former VP of CAOS

raptor

not overly sure if i have any area of specialty per say. but i'm the well rounded type and every team needs beer and i can definately get that.  I'm interested to see what you have.
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Kaitlyn Schmidt

Quotenot overly sure if i have any area of specialty per say. but i'm the well rounded type and every team needs beer and i can definately get that. I'm interested to see what you have.

Funny thing is, I know you're not joking about the beer ^-^
Kaitlyn Schmidt
Senior, Computer Science
Former President of CAOS

Rick Lynch

Now is the time that I wish I was not just a freshman so I could participate.
Rick Lynch - Junior
Applied Mathematics Major
(Don't let this fool you. I love CS as well!)

Kit

If you guys are making a DS game, I am totally in. I have a lot to offer for that.
SIUe Computer Science Graduate

John

Excellent! I am glad to have had such a positive response. It does seem like the DS is a prime choice of platform. I don't have a date set yet, because I wanted to see when the majority of you would be available. I was thinking we would do it Wednesday or Thursday night around 7:30. Also, if anyone knows of a place that would be available one of those nights or where I would go to reserve a room, that would be very helpful.

As for Freshmen that would like to participate, you should still come and see what the project is all about. One thing I would like to include is the ability for all years to be able to contribute. I am not sure if this will be completely possible as it will be based on current ability, but if not, there is a good chance that this project might last longer than a year which would put you in a great position to take over other's place if they left.

Anyway, I will try to post an official time and place tomorrow. Hope to see you all there.
Thanks,
John

Jesse Cook

Let's have this as a discussion point for the CAOS meeting tomorrow night.
Jesse James Cook
Former VP of CAOS

John

That's OK, I guess, but I will not be able to attend. I have a Dr. appt. in Springfield. I guess just post whatever was concluded.

Thanks,
Thanks,
John

Jesse Cook

We can just announce the meeting time and concept.  Might draw in more participation.
Jesse James Cook
Former VP of CAOS

Kit

Maybe I will give another NDS programming presentation?

Anyways... to whet your appetite:

http://www.ndshb.com/
SIUe Computer Science Graduate

Rick Lynch

I think it would be awesome if you did give another presentation on the NDS Programming.

I'm glad to hear that I'll be able to participate one way or another as a freshman in this project. I hope we start soon!
Rick Lynch - Junior
Applied Mathematics Major
(Don't let this fool you. I love CS as well!)

Brian Pritchett

This was mentioned at the CAOS meeting and it got me interested. Thursday night would be good for me.

delia feerer

Thursday night would also be good for me..

Brent Beer

im so game for this...pun very intended

edit: sig, cause I'm a gamer foh realz^_^;
>8{(