• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Wednesday Thesis Proposal Presentation

Started by Ross Mead, 2007-10-16T17:27:34-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Mead

In case you haven't seen the flier around the EB...

Tomorrow, (Wednesday, October 17th, 2007) I'm presenting my Thesis Proposal on "Cellular Automata for Control and Interactions of Large Formations of Robots".  Here's the abstract:

QuoteOne of the challenges to the realization of harvesting solar power from space is overcoming the difficulties and high cost for the transportation and construction of a large orbiting solar reflector. One approach that has received attention is using thousands of individual robots moving in formation, each with a piece of the reflector attached, to form the structure. In previous work, I demonstrated an algorithm that treats a group of robots as a 1-dimensional cellular automaton, which is able to establish formations defined by a geometric description that can be expressed as a single mathematical function. I now propose to extend the algorithm for robots to establish formations defined by multiple mathematical functions, forming a lattice of computational cells in a 2-dimensional cellular automaton, in order to generate grid structures.

The presentation will go from 11:00am to 11:50am in EB1011.  My committee consists of Dr. Jerry Weinberg (Chair), Dr. Xudong Yu, and Dr. Stephen Blythe.  It is in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the M.S. in Computer Science Degree.

If you are a new graduate student or have an interest in robotics, artificial intelligence, or distributed and/or multi-agent system, I think that you would find this talk particularly interesting.

Hope to see you there.  Thanks! :-)

Kaitlyn Schmidt

Sorry I missed the presentation.  How do you think you did?
Kaitlyn Schmidt
Senior, Computer Science
Former President of CAOS